Sunday, July 5, 2009

I'll shut up if she will

From yesterday's statement:
The response in the main stream [sic] media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”.

... which you instigated when you started accusing people of 'pallin' around with terrorists.' How might things have been different had you tried out classy, and kept your criticism of now-thank-God-President Obama to legitimate issues?
I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change ...

Yeah, you know, I read the whole statement, but I must have missed the candid reasons.
I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America.

This profile in grammar courage is just for Megan.

She claims to want to know why she's held to a different standard, and she's just dumb enough that the claim might be legitimate. Then again, she also claims to be some kind of Christian, but her bible apparently doesn't include this quote attributed to Jesus: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Had she conducted herself with any kind of dignity, she might be seeing some come back her way now. Instead, she launched personal attacks, tried to belittle her opponent (I'm giving her credit probably due her speechwriters here), and really launched the "politics of personal destruction" into a whole new level. A level where, by my observation, abortion-performing doctors and ... well, guys who work security at museums commemorating the Holocaust die. If she doesn't think she helped to incite those murders, she's dumb or deluded.

It's been fun to see her fight back against her 'critics'; less so 'liberal critics' now, because liberals (and we moderates) aren't attacking her, we're just laughing at her. The attacks are coming from the right-wingers who were taken in last year but are determined they won't get fooled again. You know, our girl's parents get reached for statement from time to time, but no one seems to ask them what I'd like to ask them. One of the most important lessons my parents taught me was that it's usually not everyone else who's wrong; if everyone else disagrees, it's usually you who are wrong. Why didn't her parents teach her that?

2 comments:

Megan said...

There's a part of me that thinks, oh, for heaven's sake, as much as we can all have a great time making fun of her and her flagrant insanity and her adorable illiteracy, what are we accomplishing? And then I think, no, we actually need to keep pointing it out, because the more Ms. Crazypants stays in the public forum the better it is for everyone. And the thing is, one doesn't NEED to say much. One only needs to repeat what she says and snark away. "Politics of personal destruction" my ass-- every time this one personally opens her mouth she assures her own destruction just fine.

Unfortunately, she also aids in the destruction of others, as you noted, which makes the whole thing significantly less fun. She's hardly the worst offender in this regard, though. I find the likes of Glenn Beck far less funny than many do for exact reason.

troy said...

That's a great point. I wanted to argue with you; Palin is an elected official and was the GOP vice-presidential candidate, while Beck is just some dink on TV. But even knowing the influence of the media as I do, I realize I was still not fully caught up -- Beck is just as influential (if not moreso, being on TV however many nights a week he is). Palin couldn't be as influential as she is without Beck.

In theory, Palin should have more credibility, or should have had more to begin with, which she subsequently lost. Beck, on the other hand, could just be a crazy voice that has crazy people nodding their heads. But at this point, both she and Beck (and of course others) are speaking to a base with whom you don't need any credibility. You just need to say things that are half-plausible, that are supercrazy but not SO crazy that even your base can't repeat them with a straight face.

Today should see a resurgence in another meme I've been wanting to address; I've already deleted one draft about it. We will almost certainly get to read today about how we all resent her just because she's attractive. I can't wait to take a whack at that one. Ross Douthat in the Times called her "talented," which I think is great as long as you don't try to get into what that talent is.