Sunday, November 1, 2009

But enough about you

When I've had time to think it over, and maybe calm down a little, I usually am willing to do whatever is best for my wife, even at my expense. But in the moment, especially when I have not calmed down, I tend to pick me; I am unlikely to sacrifice any for someone with whom I am angry, as I lose any perspective outside the angry moment, blind to history and to the future.

Relatively inexperienced and therefore somewhat retarded, relationshipwise, I have only just come to understand what this means. It means that if we are to be honest here, I love myself more than anyone else, but that I know I should love the people close to me more than I love myself. That I will make the right choice, given time, means I even want to love them more. I have little hope of ever evolving toward perfection in that area, but at least now I know what I am.

2 comments:

thesearedreams@gmail.com said...

They say that if you learn to truly love yourself, fully and with deep awareness, you will inevitably love others, for they will no longer seem "other" to you, but merely another set of ears, eyes, mouth, hands, feet, heart, brain, etc that is motivated by the exact same consciousness that motivates you. So therefore, if you truly learn what "loving yourself" really is, what it really implies, you will be incapable of loving others less. To love yourself IS to love the other.

Though the Tao that can be spoken is not actually the Tao....

My password to post this comment was "chydroos." Go figure.

Tonto said...

When I think of you, Kimosabe, I touch myself.

rowbor